The National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has warned the general public against using Ambronol and DOK-1 Max cough syrup.
NAFDAC issued an official statement to highlight both drugs last week.
Both Ambronol and DOK-1 Max syrup products have been contaminated with diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, said INEC.
“The National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control is notifying the public of two substandard (contaminated) products, AMBRONOL syrup and DOK-1 Max syrup identified in Uzbekistan in Europe and reported to WHO,” NAFDAC’s statement read in part.
“Laboratory analysis of samples of both products, undertaken by national quality control laboratories of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan found both products contained unacceptable amounts of diethylene glycol and /or ethylene glycol as contaminants.
“The stated manufacturer of both products is MARION BIOTECH PVT. LTD, (Uttar Pradesh, India). To date, the stated manufacturer has not provided guarantees to WHO on the safety and quality of these products.”
On the one hand, diethylene glycol is a clear, hygroscopic, odorless liquid, which is toxic to humans and animals. On the other hand, ethylene glycol is an organic compound widely used as a vehicle engine coolant due to its anti-freeze properties. Both compounds can kill people who ingest them.
Adverse effects of consuming Ambronol and DOK-1 Max include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, inability to pass urine, headache, altered mental state and acute kidney injury which may lead to death.
NAFDAC has said that it does not have Ambronol or DOK-1 Max syrups on its list of registered drugs. These substandard products may have reached the local market still. To prevent serious injury or death to patients, NAFDAC warned against their purchase and use.
Be the first to receive special investigative reports and features in your inbox.