@csrf
Lai Mohammed

05.02.2021 Justice Despite Available Information, Lai Mohammed Insists Nobody Has Produced Evidence of Lekki Massacre

Published 5th Feb, 2021

By Gabriel Ogunjobi

Lai Mohammed, Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture, says both local and international media have not been able to establish that the military raid on protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza on October 20, 2020 was a massacre.

On October 20, Nigerians in Lagos, like others nationwide, protested against police brutality but were dispersed by indiscriminate shootings from soldiers invited by Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the state governor. 

Many died and several others were injured but the Nigerian government has not been able to validate an actual figure of casualties so far. 

FIJ, however, made a 10-week long investigation to unearth the casualties amidst widespread controversies and denials.

The three-part running report established that the Lekki shooting indeed escalated into a massacre, with FIJ tracking 20 persons and concluding that the total figure was higher. Several independent sources, eyewitnesses and families of victims exclusively spoke with FIJ despite obvious threats from ‘higher authorities’.

But the minister shunned these findings whilst he spoke on TVC on ‘This Morning’.

“As we speak today, nobody has come forward to produce evidence of those that were killed at Lekki Toll Gate,” he said.

“If anybody has information, such a person should come forward. We were transparent enough to allow the enquiries to be televised live. There is no cover-up.”

In November, CNN had also published a similar report to establish the deaths of many but Mohammed took waged a war of words against the international newspaper, tagging their report “fake news” and threatening sanctions.

“The matter is not over yet. You cannot, as a credible media, be dispensing fake news, relying on unverified social media reports,” the Minister briefly said, further discrediting the CNN report.

In the latest update from the panel, the Army pulled out of the probe. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Published 5th Feb, 2021

By Gabriel Ogunjobi

Advertisement

Our Stories

UBA

For 38 Years, UBA has Held on to 71-Year-Old Innocent Anyaka’s Millions of Naira

‘Just Because Someone Said It On Social Media?’ — Kwara Police Respond to Kidnap-for-Ransom Claim Against Policemen

Sanwo-Olu Campaigned with It. Now Abandoned, Water From This Drainage is a Problem for Mushin Residents

Lawyer, Lung Cancer Patient ‘Imprisoned by Ugwuanyi’ Over Land Tussle

UK Court Bans Obaigbena From Serving as Director of Any Company for 7 Years

Kaduna University Students Protest against Fee Hike Despite VC’s Threats

El-Rufai-Labour War in Kaduna Temporarily Over as NLC Suspends Strike

At Rauf Aregbesola Colloquium, el-Rufai Disagrees with Osinbajo over Workers’ Size

Tracked Via Telegram, ‘Kidnapped’ by DSS, Detained for 41 Days — How #EndSARS Protester Lost His Livelihood

‘Life is Once’ — Hinny Umoren Through the Eyes of Her Twitter Account

Advertisement