@csrf

24.11.2022 Featured ‘I Don’t Know If It’s Greed’, Says Man Defrauded of N590,000 by Brisk Forex’s Sydney Somtochukwu

Published 24th Nov, 2022

By Segun Ige

Emeka Thomas (not real name), a national diploma II student at the Polytechnic Ibadan, has recounted how he got defrauded of N590,000 by Sydney Somtochukwu, a forex trader working for Brisk Capital Limited.

READ ALSO: 5 Months After Arrest, Police Yet to Arraign 21-Year-Old Investment Fraudster

Thomas told FIJ that he started trading with the company when he met Somtochukwu in 2020.

“I started the investment with N20,000 in 2020. When Somtochukwu informed me about the progress my capital was making, I sent him an additional N100,000, and my capital with him became N120,000,” Thomas said.

“After a month, he made a N150,000 repayment to me, saying that he had a bigger plan for me if I was interested.”

In 2021, however, things took a different turn after Thomas invested N590,000 and got nothing in return.

“I was too absorbed in his promises that I ended up funding the trading account I had with Somtochukwu with N290,000. I was promised N520,000 in return at the end of three months,” Thomas said.

“I don’t even know if I should call it greed; I was just concerned about making more money.

“In March, I spoke with Somtochukwu that I needed to support my mum’s business with N900,000 and he said I should add N300,000 to my initial capital so that I can get a sum of N1.5 million in return.

“After I paid him the additional N300,000, Somtochukwu failed to give me the N1.5 million he promised. He said he didn’t collect the money from only me, and that he also collected money from his classmates.

“I waited calmly till August but nothing came from him. At some point, he told me the guy who was trading on his behalf had run away. I later got to know he was lying and hiding from two of his classmates he had also defrauded.”

READ ALSO: 500 Investors Lose N2billion to 21-Year-Old Scammer

When FIJ spoke with Somtochukwu on the phone, he admitted to not being straightforward with Thomas on the investment agreement they had.

“In truth, I used up 60 per cent of every capital Thomas sent to me on personal needs and traded the remaining 40 per cent,” Somtochukwu said.

“I actually was still learning the trade when I encountered him. So, you could say I was an amateur when he started sending money to me to help him trade in forex.”

When Somtochukwu was asked when he hoped to pay Thomas his money back, he said his bank account had been blocked on the request of Thomas’ lawyer.

Published 24th Nov, 2022

By Segun Ige

Advertisement

Our Stories

Man Who Accused Innoson of Selling Subpar Vehicles Is a Member of Tinubu Campaign Council

Journalists Call for the Release of Colleague Detained by Gov Ishaku

Attacks on INEC Facilities ‘Could Have Negative Consequences on Elections’

Strep A Infection Has Killed Half a Dozen UK Children

3 Years After Retirement, Ex-Policeman Can’t Get His Gratuity Because PenCom Wants Letter of Non-Indebtedness

3 Days After Denying Knowledge of Committal Order Against Him, IGP Usman Alkali Asks Court to Set It Aside

‘Once a Liar, Always a Liar’ — Why Many Oppose Onochie’s Nomination for NDDC Board Chairman

UBA

Disguised as Customer Care Agent on Facebook, Fraudster Takes N158,000 From UBA Customer

Lilac Wolverine, a Nigerian Cybercrime Syndicate, Uses Covid-19 to Lure Victims

N75,483 Meant for Passport Renewals Hangs Between NIS and Remita

Advertisement