Chijoke Ezeilo, owner of a Nigerian digital marketing outfit Paramode, has reportedly died from wrong administration of drugs and medical negligence during his time at Havana Specialist Hospital, Surulere, Lagos.
In a chat with one of the deceased’s friends on Monday, FIJ learnt that he had died on Wednesday after the hospital denied him adequate care in the aftermath of a surgery to remove an inflamed appendix, which had ruptured his belly.
“He was billed for an operation for appendicitis. After the operation, he had fever. His sister complained to them (Havana Hospital) and they gave him paracetamol instead of antibiotics,” he said.
“The fever continued and they were administering the same drug. The nurses did not keep an eye on him. His sister later got to the hospital and saw that his temperature was high and that he was in shock.
“She shouted, and then one nurse came in and called a doctor. Chijoke passed out and was resuscitated with CPR. He also couldn’t urinate after the operation. The hospital, which should have informed us (family and friends) on time so we could get him a mobile dialysis, only spoke out when he was already in coma. It was late.
“His kidney failed due to the hospital’s singular act of not speaking up on time. All efforts to get him a mobile dialysis failed and he gave up as a result of the ineptitude of the hospital’s officials.”
Similar allegations of negligence have been made against Lagos hospitals and their service providers in the recent past. In May, FIJ reported how negligence in two different Nigerian hospitals led to the death of two ladies.
A US-based medical expert revealed to the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection (FCCPC) panel probing one of the deaths that the deceased was given the wrong drugs.
When Havana Specialist Hospital was ringed for comments, a representative said such a conversation could not be had on phone.
Be the first to receive special investigative reports and features in your inbox.